Working as a Team for Success!
As part of the MDGFOA Membership Benefits package, we provide our members with additional educational and networking opportunities through our Affinity Groups.
Our Affinity Group meetings will be posted online as well as promoted to our Members electronically.
Please join us!
Affinity Groups are a Benefit of Active Membership. Please acquire your membership to have access to registering for our Affinity Group Meetings.
The MDGFOA Tax Affinity Group is designed for Maryland government professionals that collect taxes. The focus of the Group includes the following subject matters:
- Discussion of State and Local laws that affect the collection and application of property taxes
- Discussion of State and Local laws that deal with the application of property tax credits
- Interaction with the State Department of Assessments of Taxation on property tax related matters
- Discussion of technological methods that improve the efficiency of billing and collecting property taxes
- Interaction with one of the Maryland Association of Counties (MaCo) representatives on subject matters before, during and after the State Legislative session that may have an impact on local jurisdictions
- Roundtable discussion of property tax sale and mass payment servicing
During the months of October-April the group meets the third Thursday of each month. The location is the Arundel Center in Annapolis, MD.
Join us September 29th from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM for the Pension Affinity Group Meeting! This event is open for all MD GFOA Members and is free to attend. More details below.
Rethinking Portfolios for Uncertain Times
With inflation at levels not seen in 40 years, interest rates increasing faster than we have experienced in almost 20 years, and in the midst of a global paradigm shift, how is one supposed to invest in this type of market? PFM Asset Management will spend time analyzing current global market trends and discussing solutions across both private and public markets on ways to help you manage volatility in these uncertain times.
Budget and Fiscal Policy Group
The MDGFOA Budget and Fiscal Policy Affinity Group will host a meeting on June 23, 2022 at 10:00 AM!
Thank you to all of our attendees. Click here to view the PowerPoint from our recent Zoom meeting.
The MDGFOA Debt Affinity Group is designed for Maryland government professionals that issue and manage debt. The focus of the Group includes the following subject matters:
- Policies and procedures for issuing debt and overall debt management.
- Provide innovative tools, techniques, and trends to assist members when issuing and managing debt programs.
- Discusses debt instruments, the relationships between internal and external parties.
- Remain current on changes to rating evaluation criteria and disclosure requirements.
- Offer updates on the changing regulatory landscape.
- Discuss other relevant debt and market subject matters as they occur.
The Group meets once in the fall and the spring at the MDOT HQ building in Hanover, MD.
Treasury Management and Investment Group
The MDGFOA Treasury Management and Investment Affinity Group is designed for Maryland government professionals that work with or have an interest in treasury management and investments. The focus of the Group includes the following subject matters:
- Professional development and best practice sharing
- Purposeful networking
- Information about emerging trends
- Provide for open discussion on tools, techniques, and trends to assist members
Remain current on regulatory requirements impacting MDGFOA members
Young Professionals Networking Group
The Young Professionals Networking Group exists to foster and encourage the younger generation of our financial professionals, both students and currently employed fiscal professionals, by giving its members the necessary forums and tools to create the culture, knowledge, and opportunities to both enter a career in government finance as well as continue to succeed in their professional development.