Graylin Smith, SBC’s Managing and Founding Partner, set out in 2005 to create a unique public accounting firm that operated as a valued business partner to commercial, nonprofit and governmental organizations. As a former Big 4 partner with 20+ years of experience, he developed a vision to build a professional services firm that would serve small, mid-sized and larger organizations by bringing the “best-of-both-worlds”…a greater level of partner attention, a business perspective and the critical thinking/better practices of a nimble firm AND the quality discipline and focus on training and development of a large one.
There were clear advantages to developing a firm that would:
- Offer more competitive fees
- Identify more meaningful insights and recommendations…and more timely
- Have partners spend more time upfront in engagements to guide the team more effectively
- Utilize a more pragmatic, risk-based approach
- Educate its staff in the area of soft skills and develop a broader perspective to ask meaningful questions versus “checking the box”
And that firm would be SB & Company.
We knew the answer was to bring the depth of knowledge, seasoned experience and rigorous adherence to quality.